alt="Image hosted by Photobucket.com">
FaerieLady Knits

Sunday, October 24, 2004

Thanks to KnitSteph's heckling encouragement, I've embarked on a mission to try at least once several of the things that I see other people doing. Now, I admit that I'm not into "pictures" on my sweaters, no matter how it gets there, because when you have a 34 A/B chest on a 5 foot frame (think hard... you might have to imagine a slightly warped board) a picture on a sweater makes you look like a child. Now, I have enough problems looking like a child and I've *had* a child. I'm not going to put myself in that predicament. However, those Latvian mittens looked awesome (courtesy ofYarn Harlot), and I've seen a lot of stranded colorwork that I would love to try. When I get up the guts anyway.

So, I'm pretty proud of this little accomplishment, not because it's any "great thing" comparitively speaking, but becase * I * did it. I made my own bag pattern. How many other people have come up with this pattern? Countless, most likely. This is just easy adaptation to "knit as you go" techniques. What did I make? My very own bag.



The front.



The Back

Specs are: 2 skeins Cascade 220 (I used black and burgundy), U.S. size 10 29 inch long circs, stitch markers, and at least one stitch holder. I thought I was honestly going to run out of yarn, but I made it with about 5 feet left to spare of black. Depending on your gauge, you might make it with more, or you might want to knit it bigger and buy more yarn, or omit the flap closure.

Really simple. Cast on 50, work back and forth knitting every stitch. I stopped at 40 rows, picked up 20 on each side and the 50 cast on stitches. I had 140 stitches on the needles. Place stitch marker. I knit one more round in black, then switched to burgundy. Knit about 5-6 inches up, changed color. Stripes, 1st and 3rd black stripes are 4 rows, the 2nd is six. 6 rows of burgundy in between. After last black stripe, I knit six more rows. Then from the stitch marker I knit 20, cast off fifty, knit twenty, cast off 50. The Second set of 20 I put on a stitch holder, the first 20 I worked. I knit in stockinette stitch 12 rows, then knit 2 together at the beginning and end of the row, 3 rows st st, repeat until I had 10 stitches left on the needles. I knit up 20 rows, then switched to burgundy, st st 30 rows, and switched back to black and did the reverse on the way "down" to the other side. Instead of K2tog I knit 1 made 1. when I reached the "end", I used a 3 needle bindoff to attach the strap to the 20 stitches still on the holder. The flap I picked up 20 of the cast off stitches (after deciding what would be the back), the middle 20 (leaving 15 still cast off on either side). I knit up several inches in st st, until I pulled the flap over and verified that it looked "right" (didn't measure). Then I switched to burgundy, knit 2 rows, then k 8, cast off 4 knit 8, and the next row k 8 cast on 4 k 8 (this made my buttonhole). I then knit 2 more rows in burgundy, changed back to black, then knit 4 more rows and cast off. Then it was off to the washer to felt.

See? Stupid simple. However, I *am* proud of myself for figuring this out myself. It looks pretty damned good if I say so myself.

FaerieLady posted at 11:21 PM

5 Speak to the Faerie Queen

5 Comments:

it looks gorgeous, and proud that you could figure out design things. Me I am just clueless :)

By Blogger Stinkerbell, at 3:05 AM  

way to go - looks awesome

By Blogger bethanie, at 11:34 AM  

You're right. It looks pretty damned good! You should be very proud of yourself.

By Blogger Karen, at 5:49 PM  

The bag looks great! Congratulations you Swan you!!
I know how you feel about knitted pictures on sweaters. I'm at the other end (36D 5'10") and it has the billboard effect. But I love to do stranded work around edges and cuffs.

By Blogger Deb, at 9:03 AM  

Looks great! Great work on an original pattern!

By Blogger eyeleen, at 6:38 PM  

Post a Comment