alt="Image hosted by Photobucket.com">
FaerieLady Knits

Monday, November 01, 2004

One more post today, then I'll stop. --The End of the Spindle--

I made a comment on one of my fiber lists about my now-broken spindle, and I've gotten emails (especially from one very sweet lady who asked if I'd bought it from her and what happened to it, which no I hadn't bought it from her but I wished I had) asking me for the story of what happened to this poor, woe-begone little spindle.

A long long time ago, in a galaxy far away...

Ok, so I was trying to be funny. I get the hint... I'll stop and just tell the story. Soooo I bought this spindle. I'm not going to give the guy's name, because I'm biased against him because of the amount of hassle it took me to get the sucker paid for, the fact he changed me 5 dollars ABOVE the cost of shipping (which he used a priority mail box, put it in a plastic bag, and wrapped it on newspaper), and all that. So I admit, I was already just a little upset by this, and instead of immediately picking up and using said spindle, I set it aside for about a week and didn't touch it.

So I take this spindle that I've never used before and barely touched to my very first Spin Night with Aubrey out in Edmond. We tried and tried, adjusted the hook, changed rovings... it wouldn't spin. Well, I take that back. It would spin three or four rotations, then wobble like a top about to fall over. It was NOT a pretty sight. I was a mite bit upset but I though that it was PEBSAC (problem exists between spindle and chair), so I put up my stuff and Aubrey taught me how to use her wheel instead and I had a bit of fun that night. I went home happy, forgetting about the fact that said spindle didn't want to spin.

The next day, I handed the spindle to WingNut (who yes, can spin) and asked him to look at it. After a few minutes he hands it back to me with a dire pronouncement.

"The shaft is warped. Seriously warped, would you look at that?"

*HOW* did I not see that?? I would have had to be BLIND not to see the amount of warp in the shaft. So I write back to the seller, asking very politely if I could please return this spindle since the shaft was warped. His response simply stunned me... NO, I could not return the spindle. Not because it was past the return policy date (oh, he didn't HAVE one of those, nevermind!) but because it was *my fault* in his eyes for buying a spindle that had to be mailed while it was so humid outside, as he believes the humidity during shipment is what warped the shaft.

WTF?

So here I was, stuck with a spindle that I couldn't use, because of this asshole. I was beyond pissed... so I hurled the spindle across the room with all my might. Oh, did I mention that I have a mean throwing arm? Yeah. The spindle shaft snapped (actually, splinters flew everywhere) as the shaft broke off right below the bottom of the whorl.

No, it's not fixable. I wish I would have taken a picture before I pitched the damn thing into the trashcan in pieces.

So hence, this is the reason why I have no spindle. Mucho thanks to KnitSteph, who told me what materials I need to make a CD spindle that will work until such time in the forseable future that I can afford to buy a spindle again. Oh, and this time I won't try and save a couple bucks and buy off eBay. It'll cost more and I'll have to save a bit longer, but at least I won't be heaving it against the wall.

FaerieLady posted at 6:57 PM

3 Speak to the Faerie Queen

3 Comments:

Sorry to hear about the seedy eBayer! I hate it when things don't work out there.

If you're looking for a new spindle, WEBS has some for $14. And even one for $10.25.

By Blogger rainbowjoule, at 7:34 PM  

Oh, Kae, that is the saddest/funniest story I've read in a long long time. :) What a creep that seller is. He should be ashamed of himself and you should post his name so no one goes to him. Yes, I"m vindictive. ;)
I got my spindle at
http://www.journeywheel.com/spindles.php
I got the midi spindle and am deleriously happy with it. Everyone that I know that has one, loves it too! A tad more expensive yes, but worth every penny. And they would stand behind their spindles 100%.
Sandy
http://sandysknitting.com/

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 3:53 AM  

Kae-

Since you are my best internet friend, I personally volunteer to find him and throwing a mean evil eye his way until he agrees to replace it ;)

About the mittenettes, use whatever you think works. That Colinette yarn was mighty pretty though :)

Hugs!

Brit

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 5:59 AM  

Post a Comment