alt="Image hosted by Photobucket.com">
FaerieLady Knits

Saturday, January 01, 2005

Blah Blah Blah...

I’m not going to blog very much about it all; this will probably be my only entry. While I did have fun for most of the trip, most of it isn’t very interesting to retell, being that we are boring people ;-)
******************************

We arrived in Chicago about midnight on the 23rd… we were supposed to be there an hour earlier, but the sleet and hail in Houston delayed our plane. D was very good on the airplane, considering that this was her first flight and she just got over a double ear infection. She was so excited to fly on the plane… it was fun to watch. Even the other people on the flight were charmed by her.

When we switched flights in Kansas City, I was pulled aside at the security checkpoint and wanded. That was an experience of its own! I certainly hope that never happens again. Considering I made it through the metal detector at OKC/Will Rogers, I wasn’t concerned, but apparently Kansas City’s metal detectors are much more sensitive, as my body piercing(s) set them off. Oh yeah, very interesting (snort). Next time, even though the airport personnel say that body jewelry is fine, I will make sure to wear plastic while flying when I have to go through KC. I didn’t get wanded flying out of Midway (Chicago) or out of Hartford (BDL).

The first day in Chicago, we really didn’t do anything except repack the bags, deciding what to leave there and what to take to MA. We left Chicago early on the 24th.

When we arrived in Mass, WingNut’s sister Denise picked us up and drove the 45 minutes to his dad and stepmom’s house. We really didn’t do anything there… we went driving around in his dad’s truck (which WingNut loves, an Avalanche) and WingNut showed me the schools that he attended, everywhere he worked, the bar that his mom used to work at during the weekends except when she had him (every other weekend) and we went out to eat at Friendly’s (they serve awesome ice cream).

D of course was spoiled rotten come Christmas morning, and I actually got out of bed at 5 am to open presents. WingNut’s dad filmed the entire thing, so we have a dvd recording of all the kids ripping through their presents. D of course made out like the bandit she is, and we actually had to leave quite a few things so they could be shipped back, as we couldn’t take them back on the plane!

The Webs experience wasn’t great. Helen from BayColonyFarm was fighting some intestinal bug, and we were late getting there (an hour late), so whoever else was going to be there had probably already left (giving up on us). I was so horribly disappointed in that store. Let me explain…

I am anal retentive. I think yarns should be sorted via manufacturer or weight. The absolute disorganization in Webs’ stock not only took me by surprise, but I couldn’t *find* anything as well. I managed to walk out with two balls of Cashmerino Aran (one black, one green) to make a hat for my dad. That was a complete bummer for me. I had hoped to find a birthday present for Aubrey, but the selection of sock yarn that I could find wasn’t very big, and I couldn’t find something that I thought would work in the colors that I know she likes. Next time we go to MA, I don’t think I’m going to waste the 45 minute drive to Northampton when I can just as easily order from them online, where their organization seems to be located. (sigh)

My birthday (the 28th) was pretty uneventful as well. However, my mom did call me to sing me happy birthday (offkey… hey, she’s tone deaf!) and that was absolutely great :-)

We flew back to Chicago on the evening of the 28th, but we were delayed an hour coming out of Hartford because it snowed all of five minutes while the passengers were boarding the plane. However, better safe than sorry, and they de-iced the plane.

On Wednesday the 29th, we had a huge dinner at WingNut’s mom’s house in Chicago, and the kids opened presents there. It was a blast! I understand why they drink the way they do now… if I had that many people (loudly) occupying my house, I would be drinking screwdrivers too! D was the recipient of a huge dollhouse and several other things, and a great time was had by all. Really, it was a blast :-)

After dinner, Uncle Steve watched his girls and D at the house while WingNut, my MIL, and I went to her favorite bar two blocks away and all of us got completely smashed. This makes the fourth time in my life I’ve been that drunk. Believe me, I really *have* to be that drunk to sing on the way home. Luckily, none of us were the happy hosts of hangovers the next morning!

On Thursday, my MIL bought us a car. Seriously, she bought us a car! We are the proud owners of a new-to-us 95 Chevy Caprice Classic with 79K miles (really low mileage!), loaded, and very squeaky clean with no dents or dings anywhere on it. WingNut’s mom says she bought it because 1. my Toyota has very high mileage, with 253K miles on it, and 2. she hopes it will last the 2 years that it will take to pay off WingNut’s truck and I can get a new car or SUV.

Friday morning, even though WingNut feels nauseous, we decided to go ahead and drive home. I drove the first six hour leg of the trip, and he drove the rest. Main reason? Someone at the dinner came when they hadn’t felt good, and passed out the germs to a 24 hour stomach flu. What should have been a 12-13 hour trip turned into 14 hours, with us having to pull over so the other person could get sick. WingNut was first, about an hour into the drive. By 1pm, I was getting sick, while WingNut felt steadily better, so he took over driving. Because I had eaten more than him (including breakfast that morning), it took quite a bit longer for my system to empty than it took his. Thankfully, D didn’t get sick at all, either yesterday or today, so here’s to hoping that she doesn’t catch it (fingers crossed).

We got home last night at about 10:30pm. We didn’t bother staying up for the fireworks or midnight, instead I stripped and remade D’s bed, let the dogs in, and we all went to bed. Both of us woke up feeling much better this morning (although the muscles in my stomach *hurt* from yesterday), and we’re just going to take it easy for a couple days.

I did get two RAOKs and a couple cards (snail and e-mail), and I’ll post about them tomorrow. I still need to download pictures and all of that… so they will be forthcoming.

Laters…



FaerieLady posted at 4:14 PM

4 Speak to the Faerie Queen

4 Comments:

Glad you made it home! Congrats on the car, Happy belated b-day...*g*

Sorry about Webs. I love ordering from them online; now I know it's not worth a trip up there. Bummer. :-(

Oh, and I LOVE my loom! *vbg*

Verna
www.fiber-addict.net/journal.html

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 1:28 PM  

Oh, man, Kae. Doesn't sound like a pleasant ride home AT ALL. You poor punkin'. I hope you feel better. Yes, I'd say plastic jewelry is a good idea next time! I had to change my wardrobe to eliminate underwire bras for the times I have to go in courthouses and correctional centers and the like. Geesh, the things you don't give a second thought!

(Norma -- http://nownormaknits2.typepad.com)

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 1:28 PM  

Oh, what a bummer that you didn't enjoy your WEBS visit! I never thought about the disorganization because I've been shopping with them for 25 years, through many incarnations and rearrangements, and I guess I'm just used to how they do things. But thinking about it from your point of view, yeah, it's a mess. There's a shop in eastern Mass. that's much, much worse though; if you ever come out here let me know so I can warn you away from it!

Yay on MIL! A car - wow! Now that's a great pressie.
The Scullery Maid

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 6:57 PM  

The car is an excellent gift. How wonderful. Isn't it just deflating to get to a "famous" yarn store and be disappointed? Sorry the trip was so exhausting.

By Blogger Gina, at 7:52 AM  

Post a Comment