alt="Image hosted by Photobucket.com">
FaerieLady Knits

Thursday, June 09, 2005

The long and short of it...

I was so proud of myself... I've been very busy the past week getting ready to vend at my very first fiber show (a small one here in Oklahoma called Rendezvous). I finished everything I needed to finish. I even patted myself on the back.

Bad Kae, no biscuit!

Why? Because basically I accidently almost bludgeoned my thumbnail off. If you're squeamish, you might want to skip the long of it.

That's the short of it. The long of it? Kae's a clumsy idjit, or at least that's the story I'm stickin' too!

I was changing the sheets on the bed. Thought I'd be nice, since the muddy pawed beasts (read, four dogs) jumped up there yesterday morning. I went to rip off the bottom fitted sheet and basically rammed my thumbnail into the wall point first.

As blood spurted out from around my entire nail (except where it attaches at the top of the nailbed), I curled up in the corner of the bed screaming and crying. Poor Zeus... the big lug didn't understand what was going on (the rest of the dogs were outside), so he jumped on the bed and started licking my face. That, my friends, is where I was when WingNut came in from work about 10 minutes later.

After the bandaid was applied (think like an ingrown toenail... when the edges are lifted, the dr bandages it so that the edges will re-adhere to the toenail bed... same concept), I was fine for a while. Then, I noticed that the bandaid was becoming noticibly tighter at my thumb swelled. Oooookay, time to change the bandaid.

I gritted my teeth, WingNut changed the bandaid. I sat on my other hand. Probably safer that way.

The nail is now crooked on the nailbed. That's ok, as long as it adheres. Looks like it might. The blood's stopped, anyway.

Ouch ouch ouch. Did I mention that this is my left thumb, and I'm left handed?

Thank the powers that be that I can spin right handed. Nine was my limit for casting on though, so I did manage to get Pi started. Since I'm an English knitter, I can knit without my left thumb. I managed to get to the middle of the 144 stitch section.

However, the painkiller for some reason wired me for sound, so I only got about four hours sleep, all broken up into pieces. Therefore I think I'm gonna go take a nap. With my hand no where near my body or the wall!

For future reference, I'm going to have to wrap myself up in bubble wrap. Leaving a hole for my face, of course.

No pictures forthcoming of the thumb. I didn't think to take one during the bandaid change, and you're crazy if you think I'm taking that bad boy off and taking a picture. It ain't happenin'.

Laters...

FaerieLady posted at 4:36 AM

6 Speak to the Faerie Queen

6 Comments:

Oh no!!! I can't stop wincing, after reading this post! I really hope your nail doesn't come off altogether, that would be a really big Ouch. :(

One of my toenails is in the process of falling off, but we don't have to get into that... ;)

-your secret pal

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 6:12 AM  

EEEAAAKKKK!!!!! I hope you have a speedy healing time and a great show at Rendezvous.

By Blogger Jenger, at 2:04 PM  

Thank you for not posting a photo. Eeeeeeeewwwwww.

Try some tea tree oil.

Hope you have a great show!

By Blogger Freecia, at 4:14 PM  

yikes! ouch! ick! oww! that's what's basically going through my head. I was definitely cringing. Sorry to hear about the nail...

By Blogger Lori, at 4:52 PM  

ouchie, I hope it feels better! and soon.
as for the show, remember to breather and to talk to those who talk to you and you will rock the show!

By Blogger Stinkerbell, at 3:05 AM  

Gaddds that yicky. I am sorry I hope the thumb heals super fast. Good thing Wingbut was around ... I would stll be laying there.

D

By Blogger Danielle, at 3:41 PM  

Post a Comment