alt="Image hosted by Photobucket.com">
FaerieLady Knits

Thursday, September 22, 2005

I'm BACK!

*crosses fingers so I don't jinx myself*.

Well, the move. It went ok. No one died and I didn't commit mass mayhem, but it was a clusterf*ck. The man who lives in the house and I aren't getting along too well. Too bad, so sad. Not. I'm not surprised.

I've done a serious amount of knitting in the past few days. Well, when I'm not trying to get situated, that is. I'm into the third skein of Misti Alpaca on the blue cabled scarf for DT. I haven't taken a picture because... I can't find the digital. It's in here somewhere. I think. So, use your imaginations and think of the earlier scarf picture and make it longer, roughly 43 inches. After this last skein, it should be around 60+ inches, and should block out around 68-72 inches.

Hopefully tomorrow I should be able to cast on for the hat. He wears a 7 1/4 in mens hat size... anybody have any idea what that is in inches? I could look it up, but I'm a little on the lazy side this morning.

D is now going to another school. This school is in the area we moved to, and is a part of a much better district than OKC Public schools. She started Monday and loves it! It's a full-day kindergarten program, and every day I can tell that she's learning much more in the way of "new things" than she did at the other school... 4 days there, and she's made more progress than she had during the month at the old school! I'm so proud of her :-). The teacher wants to test her (standard of practice in Mid-Del) for speech, and if she's found "lacking" (she will, she has a major problem with combination consonents and certain single consonants are slurred) she'll be provided with speech therapy classes at the school during the week. Isn't that awesome?

Oh, I have to take part of the blame for her speech issues. Yes, she suffered a large amount of hearing loss when she was a year old, and luckily she recovered from that and has only minor hearing loss (roughly 10% in one ear, 15% in the other). However, the problem with the combination consonents happans to be partially my fault. I am clinically tongue-tied. I hope to have that fixed soon. It definitely interferes with my ability to become fluent in other languages, and when I get excited or talkative I slur my consonents because I can't properly move my tongue in my mouth. Oh, to be clinically tongue-tied means that the frenulum (the webbing that attaches your tongue to the bottom of your mouth) is too tight and goes too far forward on your tongue. I can't stick my tongue out and have it protrude out of my mouth. It's literally not possible for me. People don't tend to think this is a big deal, but just try talking with restricted tongue movement. The tongue is an integral part of sound formation. The good news? It'll only take a few minutes to fix with a local anesthetic and a pair of surgical stitches, and most likely won't even require stitches.

I consider it partially my fault because I am the one she talks to at home, and she seriously imitates my speech patterns.

Ok, enough about all that crap. I need to get ready for school, and D's bus will be here in about 15 minutes.

Laters!

FaerieLady posted at 6:05 AM

1 Speak to the Faerie Queen

1 Comments:

Found a lot of useful info on your site about speech therapy - thank you. Haven't finished reading it yet but have bookmarked it so I don't lose it. I've just started a speech therapy blog myself if you'd like to stop by

By Blogger paige, at 7:48 AM  

Post a Comment